UNT wins more than 20 awards at TIPA Conference
DENTON (UNT), Texas -- More than 20 University of North Texas students recently won awards at the Texas Intercollegiate Press Association Conference.
TIPA originated in 1909 and has become one of the nation's oldest and largest collegiate press associations. The association offers awards for more than 25 on-site contests at its annual conference, and also gives awards to pre-submitted entries in the categories of general magazine, radio, television, online media, yearbook, literary magazine and newspaper.
UNT had a total of 11 first place, seven second place, five third place and three honorable mention awards.
The 2013 issue of Mayborn magazine, which is published each summer by the Frank W. Mayborn Graduate Institute of Journalism in UNT's Frank W. and Sue Mayborn School of Journalism, was named the sweepstakes winner by TIPA and also received first place in the category of overall excellence for magazine. In addition, the magazine's staff received third place for overall magazine design.
The following UNT students and recent graduates who contributed to the 2013 issue of Mayborn magazine placed in TIPA's competitions:
- Feature photo, picture story, story package and news story general magazine: G. Morty Ortega, 2013 master of journalism degree graduate, first place Mayborn magazine
- Story package general magazine: Ortega and Annette Nevins, 2014 master of journalism degree graduate, second place
- Feature story general magazine: Christian McPhate,' 2014 master of journalism degree graduate, second place
- Column/ essay general magazine: Jason Yang, second place
- Cover design general magazine: G. Morty Ortega third place
- Illustration generation magazine: Eric Nishimoto, 2013 master of journalism graduate, honorable mention
The following UNT students and recent graduates placed in TIPA's competitions for their work:
- Best blog, online division Eric Nishimoto, Matthew Jones, Amelia Jaycen, Alicia Auping and Christian McPhate, 2014 master of journalism degree graduate, second place
The staff of the North Texas Daily, UNT"s student newspaper, received a third place award for sportscast television. The following students and recent graduates placed in TIPA's competitions for their work for the North Texas Daily
- Feature story newspaper, Division 2: Christina Ulsh, first place
- Feature Photo Newspaper Division 2: Nicole Arnold, 2014 bachelor's degree graduate, first place
- Editorial newspaper Division 2: James Rambin, first place
- Print news writing and editorial writing: William Darnell, second place
- Sports column newspaper Division 2: Tyler Owens, second place
- Feature photography: Christina Ulsh, third place
- General column newspaper division 2: Michelle Heath, 2014 bachelor's degree graduate, honorable mention
- News feature story newspaper division 2: Melissa Wylie, honorable mention
The following UNT students and recent graduates placed in TIPA's competitions for their work on NTTV, UNT's student-run television station
- Best overall newscast television: Greene Skiles, Brianna Whaley and Katelyn Murray, first place
- Commercial, PSA television: Thomas Byham, 2014 bachelor's degree graduate, Blane Skiles and Aaron Greene, 2013 bachelor's degree graduate, first place
- Sports feature story television: Taylor Lindholm, third place