DENTON (UNT), Texas — University of North Texas students and alumni will be premiering films, playing music and sharing their expertise at SXSW 2019. SXSW is a Texas tradition that brings together the interactive, film, music and technology industries in Austin for a 10-day event filled with conferences, festivals, sessions, showcases, screenings and exhibitions. Through music, film or professional panel discussions, as a leader in the creative economy, UNT has a consistent presence at the event. Here are some alumni and students participating in this year’s SXSW:
- TOMKAT – is a Denton-based band featuring UNT College of Music alumni Katrina Cain, Andrew McMillan, Mike Luzecky and Jonny Harmon. The band, known for its groove pop with an electronic edge, plays at 1 a.m. March 13 (Wed.) at Cooper’s BBQ, 217 Congress Ave.
- Two Medicine – is the psychedelic solo project of College of Music alumnus Paul Alexander, the bass, electric guitar and bassoon player for the Denton-based band Midlake. Two Medicine also features alumna Aimee Adams and will be featured at 9 p.m. March 14 (Thurs.) at Palm Door On Sabine, 401 Sabine St.
- Claire Morales – has been singing and performing since she was just 13 years old. A UNT alumna, Morales will bring her powerful voice and songwriter talents to Austin at 9 p.m. March 14 (Thurs.) at The Hideout, 617 Congress Ave.
- Sad Cops – is a rock band from Denton composed of UNT alumni and current students known for its energetic and heartfelt stage presence. The band will perform at 10 p.m. March 14 (Thurs.) at Sheraton Backyard, 702 E. 10th St., and 8:45 p.m. March 15 ( Fri.) at Hotel Vegas, 1502 E. 6th St.
- Seth Epstein – UNT alumnus and his brother, Ben, will premiere their film, “Something Like Loneliness,” at 5:15 p.m. March 14 (Thurs.) at Stateside Theater, 719 Congress Ave.
- Monica Shortino – director of social innovation at Capital One and a UNT alumna, presented “Scaling AI for the Future Workforce” on March 8 (Fri.)
- Theresa Kushner – a partner at Business Data Leadership, UNT alumna and Mayborn School of Journalism advisory board member presented “How to Activate Your Hidden Data Workforce” on March 8 (Fri.)
- Jeff Kavanaugh – VP and executive editor at Infosys Knowledge Institute and a UNT alumnus presented “Learnability: Keeping Your Edge in the Age of AI” on March 10 (Sun.)
- Steve Koenig – VP of market research at Consumer Technology Association and a UNT alumnus presented “Immersion at Scale: AR/MR Will Change Everything” on March 11 (Mon.)
- Gigi Taylor – UNT alumna and a cultural anthropologist at Luminosity Research presented “An Anthropological Approach to Reaching Customers” on March 11 (Mon.)