UNT to honor student veterans the week of Nov. 11
DENTON (UNT), Texas -- The University of North Texas will honor its student veterans and other veterans with a full week of events, beginning on Veterans Day Nov. 11 (Monday). The events will be put on by UNT Veterans Center, the Veterans National Honor Society and UNT Libraries. The events include:
- Nov. 11 (Monday)
- 11 a.m. – noon A Veterans Day program will be held on the lawn of the Denton Country Courthouse on the Square, located 110 W. Hickory St. The keynote speaker is Denton attorney Forrest Beadle, who works with veterans in the Denton County Veterans Treatment Court. The program will be sponsored by representatives from the UNT Veterans Center, Denton County Veterans Service Office and Texas Woman's University's Veterans Program Office.
- 7:30 p.m. The UNT Brass Band honors veterans and their families with "A Veterans Day Salute" in Winspear Hall at the Murchison Performing Arts Center, located at 2100 N. I-35E, Denton. Regents Professor Brian Bowman will conduct the band in a varied program honoring American veterans, from reflective ballads to patriotic favorites. Tickets are free to veterans and UNT students $10 for adults; $8 for seniors, other students, and UNT faculty/staff/retirees. For tickets go to www.theMPAC.com/tickets or call 940-369-7802
- Nov. 12 (Tuesday)
- 5- 7 p.m. UNT's chapter of SALUTE Veterans National Honor Society will have an induction ceremony for new members in Rooms 43 and 44 of UNT's Gateway Center, located at 801 North Texas Blvd, Denton. The honor society is for American active military and student veterans who have earned an undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 or higher, or for graduate students a GPA of 3.5 or higher.
- Nov. 13 (Wednesday)
- 4 – 6 p.m. The UNT Career Center will host a Veterans Employer Panel in Room 120 A/B in Chestnut Hall, which is located at 1800 Chestnut St, Denton. The UNT Career Center is partnering with the UNT Veterans Center to bring together veterans Brian Parks from United States Auto Association and Travis Summers from Farmers Insurance to discuss veterans currently working in different civilian positions in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. The discussion will focus on job searching and applying military experience to civilian jobs.
- Nov. 14 (Thursday)
- 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Student Veterans Services Open House in Room 123 of Sage Hall, which is located at 1167 Union Circle, Denton. The Student Veterans Services office welcomes veterans to stop by for refreshments and to learn about veterans services on campus.
- 10 a.m. -3 p.m. A Veterans Fair will be held on the lawn in front of Sage Hall, located at 1167 Union Circle, Denton. The fair will have information on veteran-focused organizations on and off campus for students and their family members. Representatives from organizations ranging from Denton County Veterans Coalition and Veteran Psychologists to The Military and Veterans Marriage Enrichment Project and Cycle Operators Guild will have booths.
- 6 – 8 p.m. UNT Speaks Out on Veterans' Reentry and Suicide Awareness in the Forum of UNT's Willis Library, address. Dr. Guenter Gross, University of North Texas Regents Professor and director of the Center for Network Neuroscience, and two of his former students, David Smith and Jason Gibson, will participate in a round-table discussion about re-entering civilian life from a highly structured military environment. More information can be found at this website.