Bouncing babes shake, rattle and roll at UNT's Early Childhood Music program
DENTON, Texas (UNT) – Registration is open for the University of North Texas Early Childhood Music Program, a program for children from birth through 5 years to experience music through play, setting the stage for later music instruction.
During the six-week session, parents and guardians come with their children once a week to the UNT College of Music, where the children move to engaging beats, jump on trampolines, sing or play simple instruments. Parents also receive a take-home CD with the songs to familiarize their kids with the music outside of class.
Classes are held in room 115 of the UNT Music Annex Building, 1630 W. Highland St., Denton on Fridays (June 6 – July 11) and Saturdays (June 7 – July 12).
In the classes, the focus is training a child's ear. Babies, toddlers and young kids learn to distinguish between sound and silence, imitate rhythms and tones, and create their own songs and chants. The goal is to introduce children to musical sounds and to teach them how to sing, replicate and improvise -- skills everyone needs before learning to read music.
Preschool-age children sing, hum and chant along to traditional folk songs and eventually practice making sounds using easily manipulated instruments such as the tambourine, drums or the xylophone. Nursery-age children and infants 24 months and under practice dancing, moving to rhythms, listening to fun songs and playing with colorful ribbons and scarves.
"Music is important at every age," said Alyssa Hedenstrom, administrative assistant for the program. "It brings joy to adults and children alike, plus it helps give children positive experiences that nourish their musical development."
When are classes?
6-week Friday sessions (The July 4 classes will be held on Thursday, July 3)
- Infant (birth to 24 months): 8:30 a.m. – 9 a.m.
- Nursery (25 months to 48 months): 9:10 a.m. – 9:50 a.m.
- Infant (birth to 24 months): 10 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
- Multi-Age (birth through 5 years): 10:40 a.m. – 11:20 a.m.
6-week Saturday sessions
- Infant (birth to 24 months): 8:30 a.m. – 9 am
- Nursery (25 months to 48 months): 9:10 a.m. – 9:50 am
- Infant (birth to 24 months): 10 a.m. – 10:30 am
- Nursery (25 months to 48 months): 10:40 a.m. – 11:20 am
- Preschool (3 ½ to 5 years): 11:30 a.m. – 12:10 p.m.
- Register: The preferred registration deadline is June 2 (Monday). Register at http://music.unt.edu/musiced/ecmusic.
- Cost: Infant sessions are $70. Nursery, pre-school and multi-age sessions are $80. For parents registering multiple children, there is a 10 percent refunded discount for each additional child. Register first, and then email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Parking: Friday parking costs $2 an hour in the Highland Street Parking Garage, 620 Central Avenue, Denton. Saturday parking is free in Lot 26, across the street from the Music Annex Building.
- Contact: 940-391-4085 or email@example.com
About the UNT College of Music
The UNT College of Music is one of the largest and most respected comprehensive music schools in the country. More than 1,600 music students attend UNT each year, participating in more than 50 widely varied ensembles and pursuing specialized studies in performance, composition, music education or music scholarship. UNT faculty members and students have made appearances on the world's finest stages and have produced numerous recordings, many receiving Grammy awards and nominations. Distinguished UNT alumni can be found around the globe, in top music ensembles, opera companies, universities and schools.